WELCOME to NELA’s VIRTUAL Spring Lobby Day.
The focus of Lobby Day is the Civil Rights Tax Relief Act of 2007, H.R. 1540, and getting more cosponsors in the House. Your mission is to thank the seven Representatives who have already signed on as cosponsors of the CRTRA, to ask others to become cosponsors, and to urge all of them to make civil rights tax relief a priority for any tax bill that passes this year.
How do I participate?
The easiest way to participate is through NELA’s Action Center, http://capwiz.com/nela/home/ , from which you can send a letter to your Representative electronically. You can use or adapt the Action Center letter, which requests that the Congressmember become a cosponsor of the CRTRA.
- If your Representative is one of the seven original cosponsors [see list at right], please modify the letter so that it thanks him or her.
- If you have time, call your Representative’s office, ask to speak to the person who staffs the Representative on tax issues, and make your pitch directly to that person – this is probably more effective than an e-mail. The House switchboard number is (202) 225-3121 – call and ask for your Representative’s office.
How do I find out who my Member of Congress is?
Go to http://capwiz.com/nela/home/ and use the “Find Your Officials” function on the right.
Who else should I contact?
Even if you are not technically a voting constituent, a Member will likely be interested in your views if you have a business, clients, or a second home in that Member’s district. If you have such a relationship with any of the Members on the following lists, consider contacting them too:
- Members who cosponsored the CRTRA’s nearly identical predecessor, H.R. 1155 (in the 108th Congress).
- The six original cosponsors -- to thank them.
- Any Member of the Ways & Means Committee.
How do I get more information about the CRTRA?
Follow these links:
Thank you so much for joining us virtually for Lobby Day. We look forward to Working for Change with you!